Hi Everyone, I'll keep this short and sweet tonight or at least I'll try. I debated on even posting this, but I have a prayer request and thought you all could join me in it. As I've said in previous posts, I'm trying to get rotations at the University of Washington. First let me say that when this first came up they weren't sure we would have enough time to get through registration let alone find electives that I was interested in. That said, although every step of the process has had a few added hurdles, I am currently a registered student at the UW and I was able to get both of the electives that I was interested in: Emergency Medicine at Harborview and Pediatric Genetics at Seattle Children's Hospital!!
As exciting as that is, I've recently come upon another hurdle...I don't think after this that there will even be an option of other hurdles. At least I REALLY hope not! Anyway now they are questioning my Washington State resident status since I have been away at school. I've contacted the residency department and they gave me an application to fill out, which includes a RIDICULOUS amount of documents to be submitted with it, and have told me that the process will take 4-6 weeks. Well friends, that's where your prayers come in. My electives are supposed to start in 3 weeks and in order to start them I am supposed to have my tuition paid in full.
As it stands right now, with "out of state" tuition the bill is over $8600. Obviously I cannot afford that, so I contacted every department I've worked with during the application process so far and let them know about the speed bump I've run into. Today they called the residency department who said there's really no way to speed up my application as there are over a 1,000 applications to be processed and only 2 people doing it. They said MAYBE 3 weeks will be enough time but they won't make any promises. The only suggestion they could offer was that I not have to pay tuition before I start my electives until this is all taken care of, but in order to do that I have to get approval from the Vice Dean of the school because I would not be covered by the UW's malpractice insurance. Can you believe I'm already having to deal with malpractice insurance??? The thing is my school covers me for it, but it's the policy at the UW that students must be covered under theirs.
I should be hearing back from them early next week, so please be praying about this. It is completely out of my hands now; I've done absolutely everything I can. I just don't want everything I've been working towards these last 3 months to fall through just because I've been going to school outside of Washington for the last two years. I really don't think there is any way (crossing my fingers) that they could deny my residency, but I am concerned about the timeline and that there might be a late fee if they agree to let me delay paying the tuition. I honestly can't afford to pay more than I already will be. Alright well I think you get the picture. Thank you for reading and for the prayers I know you'll be sending my way. I love you all!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Nicole, WOW.. I'm sorry you have to deal with all these insane issues. It must be frustrating :-( but I will FOR SURE add this to my prayer book and keep you in my prayers. With all my heart I pray that God will open up this door for you. Proverbs 16:9 says that God directs our every step, and it's because He allowed us to attend Ross, albeit out of the country for 2 yrs (!), that you even have this awesome opportunity. He knows what He's doing, and sometimes it's just an exercise of faith and trust (I'm knocking myself over the head with that truth as well, you know that). So proud of how far you've gotten, but the best is YET to come :-) ..praying for you!!
ReplyDeleteDo you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)
ReplyDeleteWhy are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my help and my God. By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night His Son is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. (Psalm 42: 5,8)