Saturday, April 17, 2010

Visitors, Tests and a New Roomie

So I know it's been awhile since I updated my blog, but things have been really busy lately. As I mentioned in my last post, my ex-roomie, Kristen and her husband, Matt, came to visit. It was a wonderful visit filled with lots of laughs and adventures. The day before they arrived I was told I had Costochondritis. If any of you have ever had that, I am SOOOO sorry! It was extremely painful and was starting to affect my ability to breathe, so I decided it was probably time to be seen. I pretty much diagnosed myself, but it's always nice to have someone confirm :o) I also wasn't able to sleep due to the pain, so they gave me Percocet to help with that. I really didn't want to take it, but since I couldn't lie flat, or on my side, or on my back, or basically get comfortable at all I decided I'd try it...relief FINALLY! They also told me I needed to be taking Ibuprofen 800mg 4x/day...a HUGE dose. I'm just so thankful it worked. I'm not sure if it came on because I was sick with the flu and a 104 degree fever recently or due to the fact that I had done a lot of push ups in P90x at the beginning of the week, but either way...I'm fine now :o) Thank you Jesus!

Back to Kristen's visit, so they saw Central Park, Natural History Museum, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, China Town, WTC Memorial Museum, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Seaport, a fire station in Queens where Matt's friend works, Yankee Stadium (bit of a close call there), the musical "Rock of Ages," Max Brenner's (my favorite restaurant, which they listed as being in the top 3 of their favorite things they did in NYC!) and a few other places all in the span of 4.5 days! Busy busy bees were they. On the last night, they made Phoebe and me a burrito dinner, which was really sweet and SOOOO good! It was wonderful to have them and I hope I get to see them more often once I'm home for awhile. Oh and I think I also have them hooked on P90x...they at least have the videos now. Kristen did Yoga with Phoebe and I the night before they left and she said, "I never knew yoga could be that hard!" That's P90 in a nutshell :o)







I officially am done with OB/GYN, the last of my cores, and it feels so good! My favorite part was clinic because there was a lot we could help with. My least favorite was L&D, which consisted of standing for approximately 10 hours without anything to do and Gyn Surgery was somewhere in the middle. Anyway, it's over and I'm pretty confident I got an A so I'm happy about that. In addition, I just finished Pain Management at Wyckoff. It was a really nice and laid back rotation. I had two wonderful students to work with and the doctor was ridiculously nice. I actually missed one day because I had to go and take Step 2 CS in California (Yay for seeing Phoebe again!). It went well I hope but we don't find out if we passed or not for about 3 months. I was a little disappointed in myself because I felt like I forgot to ask something in every room and it wasn't even the same question everytime! Oh well, I spoke with other people and they said they had the same problem so we'll see. Either way it was nice to be in Cali with Phoebe and her family and to just get out of NYC for a little while. I don't mind NYC but it's nice to be in a home surrounded by family. Everyone needs a mini vacation now and then, right? Thank you Lee Family!






My new roomie recently moved in, her name is Fernanda she's from Mexico and she'll be here until May 2 when the other young lady, Ramon, moves in. Fernanda is very nice and laid back. She's having a little trouble adjusting which has affected her sleeping, but she's hanging in there. She also has allergies, so pray that she starts feeling better soon. She's a little homesick right now. Tonight we're going to see "How to Train Your Dragon" and "The Last Song" so hopefully that will cheer her up a little.

I start Radiology next week for 2 weeks and then move on to Oncology for a month at NYDH, followed by 4 weeks of Infectious Disease at Wyckoff. These will be my last electives in NYC and then I'll be heading home to study for a bit. Please pray that I'm able to focus these last few weeks and really get in study mode. My goal is to have gotten through most everything by the time I leave here so that I can review for a few weeks in July and then take my exam. I'm planning on doing the rest of my electives in California, so cross your fingers! Hope you all are doing well and thanks again for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You look so much like your mom, and that is a good thing. You are both beautiful! And, I knew you had a blog, but a reminder is a good thing so that I could catch up with you. Sounds like you are loving life and having fun as usual! Still praying for you and your studies. Love you and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete